Topics: ABC iview : ABC
Mackay Hockey Association commenced in a small way in the 1930’s with three women’s teams and 2 men’s teams with fixtures played on the triangle at the Mackay Showgrounds. WWII intervened and the association folded. In 1948, Mackay Hockey Association resurrected and the first delegates’ meeting was held at the Oddfellows. Two Clubs, Magpies and Suburbs, each nominated three women’s teams and two men’s teams, with the possibility of nominating more teams. The first official games were played at the cricket grounds at a cost of 15 shillings for a Saturday afternoon.
Hockey progressed slowly from 1948 to the early 1950’s and in 1951 there were six clubs in the compeitition – Suburbs, Camerons, Magpies, Rangers, Thistles and Arsenals. Games moved from Queen’s Park to the town common near the airport in 1952 and then moved to Harrup Park.
In 1959 Mackay Hockey Association was granted a lease on the current grounds bordered by Harney St, Milton St and Bridge Road, and these have developed over the years into a good sporting area for hockey. The synthetic turf surface was added in 1996 and the grounds are a hive of activity throughout the week with training sessions and fixtures in the senior and junior competitions.